The College has moved to online instruction for the remainder of the semester Learn more about our ongoing COVID-19 response
A Legacy of Leadership and Excellence
The story of St. Louis College of Pharmacy is a story of visionaries and pioneers. Since its founding in 1864, the College has been a steadfast presence in innovative health care education.
History of the College
As the third-oldest and 10th-largest college of pharmacy in the United States, the College has been a steadfast presence in health care education with a history steeped in innovative academics.
Since our founding in 1864, St. Louis College of Pharmacy has continued the legacy established by our founders in preparing students for expert practice and leadership in pharmacy and health professions careers.
The College was founded in a rented classroom in a downtown St. Louis medical building with three faculty members and eight students. Enrollment grew so quickly that the College moved six times in the span of fewer than 30 years before settling in the Central West End of St. Louis.
- Twenty-eight years before women were granted the right to vote, Augusta Bock became the first woman to graduate from the College.
- By 1906, the College helps establish a St. Louis chapter of the American Pharmaceutical Association.
- The College offered its first alternative Degree of Pharmaceutical Chemist in 1908, while also adding a commercial pharmacy course, the first of its kind.
- A four-year Bachelor of Science is implemented with the curriculum additions of bacteriology, English, German, mathematics and physics.
- In 1945, the College is renamed St. Louis College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Sciences to better reflect its expanded degree programs.
- The College launches a new course in animal pharmacy, in 1946, the first of its kind in the nation.
- In 1947, The student body secures 100% membership in the student chapter of the American Pharmaceutical Association at the College, one of the first and few schools to ever do so, exemplifying the College’s commitment and passion for high-caliber pharmacy education.
- From 1952-1955, the College continues to expand its degree offerings with two Master of Science paths.
- After many more years, the College continued to evolve, changing its name back to St. Louis College of Pharmacy, erecting new facilities for its students and establishing long-lasting traditions that give back to the community.
Be a part of this rich history and write the next chapter.
Take the Next Step