The STLCOP Joe E. Haberle Outstanding Educator Award
Amid all the discussion surrounding America’s health care system, one thing is clear: It’s changing, fast. St. Louis College of Pharmacy is changing right along with it, evolving to respond to the growing demand for patient-centered care and community access. It’s one reason we’ve decided to expand our Doctor of Pharmacy program from six to seven years starting in 2014, is that we want to give students more time to learn what they need to know to ensure the best health outcomes and make a difference in patients’ lives.
STLCOP relies on a roster of dedicated faculty members to instill both the professional skills and the values such a fast-changing health care environment requires. It’s a demanding as well as rewarding task. So each year, we take the time to recognize a faculty member who has shown remarkable commitment to educational excellence with the STLCOP Joe E. Haberle Outstanding Educator Award, selected through a process hosted by the Student Alumni Association (SAA) and Student Body Union (SBU) and sponsored by our Alumni Association.
The 2015 recipient is Dennis Doyle.
STLCOP’s Outstanding Educators
Arthur Zimmer received the first Outstanding Educator Award on record in 1970. Since then, we have bestowed the award upon:
- Thomas Lackner - 1983
- Bruce Phillips - 1984
- Evelyn Becker ’88/’93 - 1988
- Terry Martinez - 1989
- Joe Haberle - 1990
- Rodney Cooper - 1991
- Evelyn Becker ’88/’93 - 1992
- Joe Haberle - 1993
- Michel Cloutier - 1994
- Lucia Tranel - 1995
- Kenneth Schafermeyer ’76 - 1996
- Robert Zebroski - 1997
- Joe Haberle - 1998
- Rasma Chereson - 1999
- David Ritchie - 2000
- John Burke - 2001
- Jennifer Kasiar Whaley ’95 - 2002
- Margaret Weck - 2003
- Joe Haberle - 2004
- Lucia Tranel - 2005
- Richard McCall - 2006
- Theresa Laurent - 2007
- Evelyn Becker ’88/’93 - 2008
- Zachary Stacy ’02/’03 - 2009
- John Beale - 2010
- Amie McCord Brooks ’99/’00 - 2011
- Kenneth Schafermeyer ’76 - 2012
- Tricia Berry '94/'95 - 2013
- Brenda Walter - 2014
- Dennis Doyle - 2015
Each year, the Alumni Association recognizes a faculty member who:
- Is enthusiastic about his or her work
- Provides perspectives that respect diverse views
- Creates a climate conducive to learning
- Is attentive, responsive, and available to students
- Treats students with respect and sees them as individuals
- Projects a positive attitude about students' abilities to learn
- Uses innovative teaching techniques
To be eligible for this award, the faculty member cannot have won the award within the past five years. Nominations are open to all faculty members who have taught at the College for a minimum of two years.
Voters include STLCOP students and faculty members, as well as alumni who have graduated within the last two years. The nominees who receive the highest number of votes then participate in an interview process led by the Alumni Association and the STLCOP Student Body Union.
The recipient receives an award, monetary stipend, and reserved parking space in the College's garage.