Prof. Vouri Awarded ORA Research Funds
Professor Scott Vouri, PharmD., BCPS, CGP has received an ORA research grant of $1,000 toward his study of "Changes in Geriatric Depression Scale (GDS) in New Enrollees in a Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE)." The PACE program is a complex type of adult day care which provides not only socialilzation services but also clinical services. Dr. Vouri and his colleagues, Stephanie Seaton, Pharm.D., and Pharm.D. candidates Shane Austin, Marquita Martin, and Ashley Gordon seek to learn if access to these services, plus the increased socialization will have an impact on the mood of program participants who have depressive symptoms when they enter the program. The goal is to more judiciously consider the utilization of antidepressants for patients in such broad service programs.
Selected ORA Publications, Reports, and Presentations
Recent Publications and Reports
- "Community Assessment: Building Livable Communities." Summaries of information from a community livability assessment conducted by the MidEast Area Agency on Aging. Patrick Fontane and fifth-year student Heather Kindermann
- "Thyroid Medication Use and Subsequent Development of Dementia of the Alzheimer Type," Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry and Neurology. An article summarizing research suggesting that thyroid medication use may be related to the development of Alzheimer’s disease. Patrick Harper and Catherine Roe
- "Perceptions of the Elderly Population by College Freshmen." Poster presentation at the Student Research Symposium, St. Louis College of Pharmacy. Fourth-year student Katherine Beaucamp
- "Assessment of Current Alzheimer's Disease Therapies Using Neuroimaging Biomarkers." Presentation at the Student Research Symposium, St. Louis College of Pharmacy. Sixth-year student Jonathan Day
- "Development of Ligands That Target the Early Amyloid Beta Dimer." Presentation at the Student Research Symposium, St. Louis College of Pharmacy. Sixth-year student Amanda Hetland
- "Healthy Behaviors of Older Persons With High Cholesterol." Poster presentation at the Student Research Symposium, St. Louis College of Pharmacy. Fifth-year student Samantha Straits
- "Some Preliminary Conclusions About Senior Volunteers: To Improve the Local Community ... or for Public Recognition?" Presentation at the Midwest Sociological Society annual meeting. Patrick Fontane and Maria Lombardo '01, Pharm.D.
- "Perceptions of the Elderly as Affected by the Geriatric Medication Game©." Poster presentation at the Student Research Symposium, St. Louis College of Pharmacy. Sixth-year student Shane Austin
- "Modeling the Unfolding of the RRM2 of TDP-43 Molecule." Presentation at the Student Research Symposium, St. Louis College of Pharmacy. Adam Bohn '13